Saturday, June 18, 2011

It's Not Easy Being Green

Recycling, Upcycling, Being Green, no matter how you put it, reusing the old to make something new takes effort. It doesn't matter if it's taking recyclable materials to designated spots, or trying to figure out what to do with the half-broken toy of a child and such.

I'm not terribly green. With my family of four (two small kids) in an apartment, it is difficult. However, I am making an effort NOT to throw out anything that I can donate, reuse or repurpose. The local donating thrift store has become a favorite haunt of mine.

Aside from donating, and my bead obsession, I haven't bought anything 'new' for my crafting in a long time. All the yarn I have is donated from relatives and friends, or bought at the local thrift store.

Not that I know what to do with it yet.

But I have stumbled on to something else that I love - rag rugs. The Toothbrush or Naalbinding rag rug technique is quick, simple, easy and if anyone has made hemp jewelry as a kid or learned any kind of macrame knotting then it's a cinch.

Most tutorials use straight fabric strips, but I'm using a finger-chain yarn core that seems to make it a bit more 'squishy'.

I'll post pics and 'how-to' when I'm finished. ^_^

Until then, stay crafty!

No comments:

Post a Comment