Thursday, April 28, 2011

Thursday's Thoughts

I recently watched The King's Speech. Aside from the moment in the middle where Colin Firth spouts the F-word about 15 times in the rhythm of Clackity-clack-clack-clack, it's quite good. It has to be, with a lineup of acting greats in the main roles. Guy Pierce is awfully good at playing a prick. ^_^

But I liked the underlining message of it all. If you pare it down, it isn't about a king at all (even though it is based on real events), but a man who was consumed with fear, and the two people who were able to help him face and beat his demons.

Interestingly enough, I think this is something that a lot of amateur crafters feel. It's certainly something that I've felt in the past few years as I've started on this venture of navigating the avenues of handicrafts. How often have the questions danced in my head?

"You're not good enough."
"That's too complicated for you."
"That's awfully small. Can I even work with it?"
"That's too difficult."
"I just can't do that."


What is it about things that make us stumble? As children if we're asked if we can draw, sing or dance, we answer with a surety "Yes!".  As we age we are told time and again, "No you can't do that", "You aren't coordinated enough", "That isn't one of your strong suits". We come to believe this, because we're told these things by people in positions of authority; parents, teachers, and close companions.  Isn't it sad that we are conditioned to readily agree with the worst assessments of us and our abilities?

Charles Schultz was told he could not draw. Peanuts was turned down time and again, until eventually one person put him through. Where would we be today without Charlie Brown? We resonate so well with the boy that never was able to kick a football or catch a baseball, but persevered. He kept playing sports, and kept going no matter what anyone told him.

When I first started beading my mother told me it was a waste of time. I had other more important things to do, and did not have time to waste on another failed hobby. (Personally I don't think I have ever 'failed' at a hobby, I just get distracted because there is so much out there!)

I didn't listen. My husband, who is a great source of encouragement, told me to keep going. So I did. And you know what? I improved. In fact, I improved enough that my mother actually asked me for some custom jewelry!

One of my favorite sayings is, "It just takes time." Mostly because it is so true! Feelings fade with time, perseverance is rewarded in time. Time is both a curse (since we only have a limited amount of it) and a blessing.

So fear, a sibling to despair, is a mistake. A sort of 'sin' against ourselves, if you will. Outside of physical impediments and the like, there is nothing stopping us from doing what we'd like to do.

So I make this pledge. "I will not be afraid to try new things, with new materials, in new ways. I will not be afraid of new techniques, new crafts, or new lines of thought. I am here to learn, to love what I do and who I am, and share that love to all through my small but beautiful gifts to the world."

I know, heavy right? But eh, I get that way some times.

"People don't really speak that way, you know?"
"I know, but we think that way."

No comments:

Post a Comment